Unlocking the Potential of Digital Healthcare in India

October 13, 2023


4:00 pm - 5:30 pm

Unlocking the Potential of Digital Healthcare in India

Digital healthcare holds great potential in preventing diseases, reducing healthcare costs, and aiding patients in monitoring and managing chronic conditions. Moreover, it can customise medical treatments to suit individual patients. However, to fully unlock the benefits of digital healthcare in India, significant challenges need to be addressed. The disparity between rural and urban healthcare systems in the country is vast. More than three-quarters of the healthcare infrastructure is concentrated in metropolitan cities, which are home to only 27% of the population. As a result, the remaining 73% of the Indian population lacks access to even basic medical facilities. Furthermore, there is a severe shortage of over 3,000 doctors in primary healthcare centres, with the shortage increasing by over 200% in the past decade. Adding to these challenges, India’s Out-Of-Pocket Expenditure (OOPE) for healthcare was alarmingly high at 63% in 2018, making it one of the highest in the world.

The session aims to provide a comprehensive understanding of the challenges hindering the full realisation of digital healthcare’s potential in India. The session will provide a platform for discussion and dialogue on the following topics:

  1. Overview of the healthcare disparities in India, focusing on the concentration of infrastructure in metropolitan cities.
  2. Discussion on the potential of digital healthcare to address the challenges faced by the Indian healthcare system.
  3. Policy challenges in implementing existing Government programs and policies and way forward.
  4. Effectiveness of coalitions in policy implementation to fully harness the potential of digital healthcare.

The Coalition Series is crucial for fostering collaboration and solidarity among CSOs, government, and development practitioners. By addressing pressing issues and promoting shared solutions, it empowers stakeholders to drive positive change. Through collective action, the series has the potential to shape a better future for public life.


To view takeaways you need to Login or Register yourself.